1999 jeep grand cherokee limited 4×4 to 4×2 transfer?

I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, and i will like to change it to a 4×2 (it is currently 4×4) for gas mileage… is this possible and how much? (also would like to change it cuz my front end makes a weird humming sound, thus i will like to cut the two front wheels).

also would like to know if anyone knows how much it would to change the AC compressor for the same car?

, , , , , , , , , ,

2 Responses to 1999 jeep grand cherokee limited 4×4 to 4×2 transfer?

  1. Brad G June 12, 2009 at 10:18 pm #

    The humming noise is caused by a bad bearing in the front axle.!! Either a wheel bearing or a front differential bearing! The best way to convert your jeep is not a very easy thing to do it involves getting a transmission that was in a two wheel drive vehicle (that definately means you cant look for one in a grand cherokee) Then you have to remove all the gears in the front differential and rig the wheels in front so you can remove the axles and still support the front wheel bearings so they wont fall apart. ( I dont mean the axle housing) All in all you will spend more than 2grand making that all happen and since that jeep is as airodynamic as a cinder block you wont really save that much money filling the tank by the time your jeep falls apart!!
    Chaging the ac compressor costs about 145$ plus the cost of the compressor

  2. satellitechris June 12, 2009 at 10:18 pm #

    I have a 95 jeep you can just remove the front drive shaft. This will probly not fix the sound. There also would be no noticable fuel gains. Check your tires they may have flat spots, or your universal joints.