Does anyone know much about the steering parts on a 1989 Toyota SR5 Pickup, which is a 4×4?

I am finally making some headway on the name of parts. I found the part between the inner tie rod ends is called the center link (there was some other name for it on another website), with the part number of 101-4250.

The center link has a protrusion on the side nearest to the left of the truck. This has a hole in it for the steering damper to connect to it with a bolt, nut, cotter pin, and a bushing that goes between the two.

Therefore, the center link is connected to the inner tie rod ends at both of its ends with bushings between them.

There are two parts connected to the outer side of the frame of the truck, which connect to the center link as well. Since I have yet to find a detailed illustration showing what these parts are, I have no idea what type of bushings need to be replaced on them.

I want to say these are the steering links, but I thought all vehicles only had one of these. If they are the steering links, then why can’t I find a right and left one? They would obviously be mirror images to each other in design. They also look like they are welded in place on my truck instead of bolted on.

Please let me know what these really are so I know what to get.

, , , , , , , , ,

2 Responses to Does anyone know much about the steering parts on a 1989 Toyota SR5 Pickup, which is a 4×4?

  1. talon699 November 13, 2010 at 9:40 am #

    Have a look at this site from Auto Zone, maybe that will help you out, or spend the $20 on a repair manual. The tie rod assembly consists of 3 parts . Inner and outer tie rod assembly and the link between them is the tie rod, although I think you may be talking about the idler arm (pass side) and pitman arm (steering box to centre link)

  2. paul k November 13, 2010 at 9:40 am #

    i agree with him… autozone website has exploded views with names… inner and outer tierods, idler arm, centerlink , pitman arm, upper and lower ball joints. and everything is cheaper at